My Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I wish all of you a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
After the solemn feasts of the Nativity of Our Lord, the first Martyr St. Stephen, St. John the Apostle, Evangelist and Martyr and the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we celebrated the solemn Feast of Mary, Holy Mother of God on the first day of the New Year. Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, called her “the Mother of my Lord”(cf.Lk.1:43). “In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father’s eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly Mother of God –Theotokos”(CCC495). We know for sure that Mary, who gave birth to the King of Kings who rules heaven and earth forever, will always pray for us and protect us. Together with the Church let us offer our life and mission to the Mother of God.
I am glad to inform you that the CBCI with its Notification given on September 1, 2014, dissolved the BIJHAN Regional Bishops’ Council (RBC) and constituted Bihar and Jharkhand as two RBCs. The official division took effect from November 26, 2014 after Archbishop William D’Souza, S.J. officially read out the CBCI Notification during the RBC-CRI-CDP annual meeting in Patna. The Bishops of Jharkhand RBC had a meeting on December 19, 2014 in which Bishop Felix Toppo, S.J. was elected its Chairman and Auxiliary Bishop of Ranchi Archdiocese, Theodore Mascarenhas, its Secretary. Later the Chairman appointed Fr. John Crasta as the Deputy Secretary of Jharkhand RBC. The Jharkhand Bishops have decided to call their Regional Council as Jharkhand-Andamans RBC.
I would like to make some suggestions which could be our roadmap for some important and relevant diocesan and parochial activities for the year 2015.
1. EVANGELII GAUDIUM (EG): This is an Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis on the Proclamation of the Gospel in Today’s World given on Nov. 24, 2013. On December 18, 2014, During the “Christmas Milan cum Pastoral Reflections”, held in the Bishops’ House, Golmuri, Fr. John Crasta clearly and powerfully elucidated the thematic spirit of EG. The Document touches Our Lord’s fundamental teachings which are truly relevant for our times. I encourage all of you to read, reflect and actualize its spirit - the Joy of the Gospel - in your life and mission.
2. WAKE UP THE WORLD: Pope Francis issued a letter for the Year of Consecrated Life, which started throughout the universal Church on the first Sunday of Advent, 30 Nov. 2014 and will end on the Feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, 2 February 2016. The Pope expressed his expectations for the yearlong observance, including that consecrated men and women would examine their presence in Church life and respond to the “new demands constantly being made on us, to the cry of the poor”; and, spelt out the horizons of the Year of Consecrated Life. During “Christmas Milan cum Pastoral Reflections”, mentioned above, Fr. Jerome Cutinha, S.J. gave a summary of the Pope’s Letter and reflected expertly on the various strengths of our diocese, difficult challenges we have to encounter often and many opportunities which are open to us for new evangelization. I encourage all of you to read the Pope’s letter and reflect upon it, so that you can look at the past with gratitude, live the present with passion and embrace the future with hope.
3. SYNOD OF BISHOPS: Pope Francis has convoked III Extraordinary Synod of Bishops to deliberate on the topic, “The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization”. In our millennium the problems connected with the family are becoming increasingly more complicated day by day. Let us organize seminars on this theme on the diocesan, deanery and parish levels.
4. AD GENTES: Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, on the occasion of 50th Anniversary of the promulgation of the II Vatican council Decree ‘Ad Gentes’ has asked us to study it. Further, He has suggested to have solemn Eucharistic celebrations, both on the diocesan and parish levels, keeping in mind the central theme of “Ad Gentes”. I encourage all of you to revisit the Decree ‘Ad Gentes’. We will try to organize study-seminars on this Decree for the priests, religious and laity.
5. NEW POLITICAL SCENARIO: A new political scenario has emerged in India and Jharkhand State. Anti minority statements are being voiced and activities, carried out. With regard to these, the Prime Minister is keeping silence, which is dangerous for the Church and for the unity and integrity of the country. It is true that persecution is part and partial of Christian life, as Our Lord has said, “If they persecuted me, they will persecute you too” (Jn 15:20). Nevertheless, we should keep in mind that we have our fundamental and constitutional rights. At times with our Lord we have to say, “If there is some offence in what I say, point it out; but if not, why do you strike me” (Jn.18:23). The need of hour is unity among us. We need to come together to read the signs of our times and to make right action plans. Let us join hands and hearts with one another and pray to the Our Lord Jesus Christ so that, remaining strong in our faith, we may continue to fulfil his mission of evangelization in Jharkhand State and Jamshedpur Diocese in particular.
I once again wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year! Let us continue to pray for one another!
+Felix Toppo, S.J.
Bishop of Jamshedpur
PDDM CONVENT BLESSING & FINAL PROFESSION
In a simple but meaningful way the blessing of PDDM Convent took place on 3rd December 2014. Rt. Rev. Bishop Felix Toppo,S.J. blessed the house and the new Chapel, immediately after the blessing of the Convent we had the final profession of two of our Sisters hailing from Orissa. Present for the function was the Provincial and her team from Bangalore, the parents and relatives of the two sisters making the final profession, and a few priests from the Curia.
ST. JOSEPH’S COMMUNITY COLLEGE
On 22nd Dec.2014 St. Joseph’s Community College got in a festive mood. With the half yearly exams over the students got ready for the Christmas Gathering. Rev. Fr. Linus Kindo was the chief guest. We also had the honour of having Swami Amritaswarupananda present for this celebration. During this celebration 22 Health Assistant students took the Nurse’s pledge, promising to be true and faithful to this noble vocation.
We would like to inform you that the forms for the fourth batch of Community College will be issued from the 5th of January onwards. Three courses will be conducted this year, Diploma/Certificate course in Health Assistant, Diploma/Certificate Course in Desk Top Publishing and Course for Office Assistant. Since there is a great demand for these courses, please send your wards as early as possible with a letter from the Parish Priest to avoid disappointment. Hostel facilities for the girls only; this will be taken care of by the PDDM Sisters (Sr. Miriam, PDDM).
Our address is as follows:
ST. JOSEPH’S COMMUNITY COLLEGE (SJCC)
Jesu Bhavan Gate No.2
Old Purulia Road, Mango
Jamshedpur - 831012, Jharkhand
DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATION OF A.C. SCHOOL, DIGWARDIH
Raising of the school banner by Sr. Helen accompanied by the singing of the Carmel Anthem enveloped the atmosphere with pride and solemnity. The miraculous banner is a symbolism of the great heritage of our school.
The wondrous dance by standard 9 extolled upon the richness of life. The moment we are born we embers upon the unknown promise land of our dreams. The dance was a transparent portrayed about life’s spectacle. The forthcoming feisty was imaginary of the descterity of little starlets in form of a Portuguese dance.
Later, the enlivening shower of ideologies by the chief guest to the students, teachers and the audience was a notable aspect of the celebration.
Furthermore, the awesome moves of the Bhangra dance enthralled the audience to tap their feet to the emerging music. The next sequential songs of grace provided solace to the zealous atmosphere.
A cultural manifestation of Dandiya dance taking up the next place in the event list was one of the phenomenal and entertaining sphere of the occasion.
Finally the most awaited presentation of the day knocked the day of the door of the time. It was the visual display of the lady of Carmel, mother marry portraying the perpetual virginity of Mary and her immortal iconize.( http://www.carmelschooldigwadih.in/diamond1.php)
GOLDEN JUBILEE CELEBRATION OF DSWC
11th December, 2014 will remain an important date in the history of Damien Social Welfare Centre, as on this date the Institute celebrated Golden Jubilee of its service to the deprived section of the society. The splendid ceremony was blessed with the presence of His Eminence Telesphore Cardinal P Toppo, the Archbishop of Ranchi, Most Reverend Felix Topp SJ, the Bishop of Jamshedpur and the Emeritus Bishop Charles Soreng. To commemorate this very special occasion. Damien Social Welfare Centre had a Thanksgiving Mass followed by a short Cultural program. To grace this fabulous ceremony many priests and nuns, who worked in DSWC in different capacity in the past were present. Cardinal in His Homily praised DSWC and said that though the Government says leprosy is eradicated, yet it is still a public health concern. He wished DSWC to work many more years in serving persons affected by leprosy. The staff and student of Nirmala School made the occasion very special by their melodious singing.
Soon after the Mass as a tribute to the glorious past of this institution, students of Nirmala School, a unit of DSWC staged a cultural program. The program began with a prayer dance. Then Bishop Felix welcomed all the Guests. Program went on for an hour. During the Program Fr. Bijay Bhat honored the doctors, who served leprosy patients through DSWC for more than 5 years. Cardinal honored all the past administrators and the Directors, for their wonderful contribution in bringing down the incidents of leprosy in Dhanbad. Bishop Felix awarded the Teacher of the Year and the Student of the Year 2013-2014 of Nirmala School, Govindpur. During the program Golden-Jubilee-Souvenir was released by Cardinal. The theme of the Souvenir was “Being Found Faithful”. Program was concluded by vote of Thanks proposed by Fr. Bipin, the Director of DSWC. It was a wonderful program conducted and staged by children of Nirmala Girls’ Hostel, Govindpur, a unit of DSWC. At the end delicious lunch was served for everybody (Fr. Bipin Pani).
CHRISTMAS MILAN CUM SHARING
Clergy and Religious working in the diocese of Jamshedpur came together on 18th December, 2014 to witness the birth of baby Jesus. There were around 130 participants in this Christmas Milan. It was an opportunity to come together and share the joy of carrying out together the various ministries of the diocese. To strengthen the bond among priests and religious in pastoral activities. Fr. John Crasta, professor of moral theology from St. Albert’s College Ranchi, shared the pastoral reflection and enlightened the participants with his inspiring input based on Evangelium Gaudium. To be a religious means to be joyful. Fr. Jerry Cutinha, S.J. Superior and professor of XLRI Jamshedpur addressed to the gathering placing the challenges ahead in the life of a religious.
The Christmas Milan and this short beautiful sharing came to the culmination as the Christmas carols started in front of the crib. All sang the carol together; cake was cut and wishing each other HAPPY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2015. A sincere thanks to all for your cooperation!
DIACONATE ORDINATION OF BR. MANOJ TIGGA AND BR. MARIA CHARLES
Bishop Felix Toppo SJ ordained Br. Manoj and Maria Charles as Deacon on December 18th during a beautiful Sunday Liturgy in St. Joseph’s Cathedral Golmuri. A big number of people from the parish and a few relatives of the ordinandi came to witness the Ordination ceremony and prayed for them. Around 12 priests concelebrated with the Bishop. Congratulations to Deacons Manoj and Maria Charles.
Deacon Manoj has been assigned in Maluka Parish for his diaconate ministry whereas Deacon Maria Charles will persue his MTH studies in St. Albert’s College Ranchi for next one year. We wish them all the best!
The Call to the priesthood… Can you hear it?
The Diocese of Jamshedpur and Society of Jesus, Jamshedpur province has programs such as vocation seminar and meetings for prospective candidates for priesthood from 12-17 April, 2015 at Pratiksha (Seminary), Jamshedpur. 10th & +2 pass boys please contact to the Vocation Offices for more information at following address:
The Vocation Promoter
Phone No.: 09572752429
The Vocation Promoter (S.J.)
Inigo Niwas, Candidate House
St. Xavier’s High School
P.B. No. 10, Chaibasa P.O.
Phone No.: 9798736320/09546721569
Fr. James Surin lost his mother Mrs. Paulina Surin on 10th December, 2014 in Torpa, Khunti due to paralysis attack. She was 72. Hearty Condolences Fr. James Surin!
Fr. Anand Toppo, Cap.ofm lost his mother, Mrs. Fulmani Toppo on 9th December, 2014 in Ambikapur, MP. She was 74. Hearty Condolences Fr. Anand Toppo!
Raju Felix Crasta
Gyan Prakash Topno